This Green Chilli and Rai Chutney is a condiment eaten with basically any meal or type of food. You can eat it with any kind of bread, soup or curry, or mix it into a marinade, soup etc. We use it not only to spice up our food, but provide a measured alternative to straight up chilli. This Green Chilli and Rai Chutney mellows the heat of chilies using the tartness of rai (black mustard seed).
The term chutney refers to a number of sauces (or the dry base for such sauces) forming an integral part of the cuisines of the Indian subcontinent. Some chutney may be eaten fresh while some of them may have a long shelf life. The people in the subcontinent usually like spicy food and chutney adds flavor as well as spice. It may be used without keeping in refrigerator for 2 weeks.
¼ kg – Green Chillies (Jalapenos)
2 tsp. – Salt
1 tsp. – Rai
1 airtight jar
Directions for Green Chilli and Rai Chutney
- Wash and de-stem the green chilies.
- Cut the chilies in half lengthwise.
- Grind them in a Mortar (do not grind in blender).
- Grind black mustard seed in a spice grinder until it turns into fine powder;
- Now put the ground green chili paste in an airtight jar, add salt and ground black mustard seed and mix it well with a spoon;
- After mixing properly close the jar tightly;
- Leave it for two to three days, keep mixing with a spoon every day.
- The tasty, spicy and mouthwatering Green Chilli and Rai Chutney is ready to serve.
- It can be served with all kinds of vegetables, lentils or any kind of curry.