This Gol Pakora Recipe is a type of fried iftar snack, delicious, vegetarian, and gluten free. I made this up one day when guests showed up unexpectedly to the house.
Gol Pakora Ingredients
Gram Flour 8 tbsp. (baisan in Urdu)
2 medium sized potatoes well boiled and mashed
½ cup shredded cheese (a soft cheese like cottage is ideal)
Water 5-6 Tbsp + 1 liter
Red chili powder ½ tsp + ¼ tsp
Salt ½ tsp + ¼ tsp
Garam Masala – a pinch
Dry coriander seeds – pinch.
Baking soda – ⅛ tsp
Ajwain – a pinch.
Zeera – a pinch.
Oil for frying 1 liter
- Boil the potatoes in water until soft (you can check by poking them with a butter knife, if it slides in easily, they’re done).
- Shred the cheese.
- Mix the potatoes, garam Masala, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ red chili powder, and cheese together into a soft dough-like mix.
- Portion out balls of the mix with a teaspoon and form all of it into balls by rolling it between your hands.
- Mix the gram flour, remaining salt and red chili, plus coriander, baking soda, ajwain, zeera in a large bowl. Add 4 tbsps. of the water and create a paste that is thin enough that it is the consistency of warm cream, add more water if needed.
- Heat the oil in a wok.
- Dip in the balls one by one and, taking a fork, fish them out, shaking off the excess coating.
- Once the oil is sizzling, add the balls one or two at a time, rotating them, making sure to separate them as you’re adding them to avoid clumps.
- Let them cook, flipping occasionally, for about 2 mins, once they start getting a medium brown, take them out and drain the oil on paper towels.
- Serve piping hot Gol pakoras with Green chilli chutney.