Achar (Pickle) or chutney are generally eaten with all kinds of food in the subcontinent. Mix Vegetable Achar is considered an essential side dish with lunch and dinner. It enhances the taste of food as well. Here we are sharing a very delicious recipe of mix vegetable pickle..
Ingredients for Mix Vegetable Achar
- Cauliflower – 500 grams ( 2 1/2 cup cut in pieces)
- Carrot – 500 grams(2 1/2 cup cut in pieces)
- Peas/Turnip – 200 grams ( 1 cup)
- Heeng (asafoetida) – as much as 1 pea
- Mustard oil – 100 grams ( 1/2 cup )
- black mustard – 2 tbsp (grounded)
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Red chilly powder – 2 tsp
- Salt – add to taste ( 2 1/2 tsp)
- Cut cauliflower into big pieces. Peel and wash carrots. Cut carrots in 2 inch long, thin strips. Also cut turnips in small pieces, peel the peas and wash the seeds thoroughly.
- Take a big bowl and put all the vegetables, salt, chilli powder, grounded black mustard seeds, heeng, and turmeric and mix it well.
- Now cover the bowl and leave it overnight.
- Strain the water from the vegetable with a strainer, and put the whole lot in a food storage can or bowl.
- Now add the mustard oil as well. Keep mixing it daily and after 5 days the pickle will be ready to serve.
- This Mix Vegetable Achar can be stored up to a month. If you want to increase its shelf life then keep the Mix Vegetable Achar in the fridge or add enough oil to completely submerge the pickles.