Chatney is not a new food, it has been in use since 500 BC. This Spicy Mint and Coriander Chatney is one of the most popular ones. In the old days chatneys were made of different ingredients and there were thousands types of chutneys used to make the food delicious. Nowadays most homemade chatneys are being replaced by the packaged pickle and chatneys. But we at Charda Suuraj think that the old recipes should be preserved (and that they taste a whole heck of a lot better).
Chatney is a very common side dish in Pakistani and Indian food. It is a sauce which is used to make different kinds of side dishes. The most commonly it is used with curd or butter. Sometimes it is also used with tomatoes.
The recipe for Spicy Mint and Coriander Chatney I am going to share adds taste to food, is considered good for digestive system and has specific fragrance of mint and green coriander. Spicy Mint and Coriander Chatney is used with Pakoras, Samosas, and with different kinds of rice especially biryani.
Spicy Mint and Coriander Chatney can either be made with the help of a mortar and pestle or could be made in a blender. As most households are now using the blender so I would suggest you make it in a blender because it is easier and saves time as well.
½ cup mint leaves
1 cup green coriander
6 green chilies
1 teaspoon salt
½ Kg homemade yogurt
¼ cup water
- Take the mint leaves off the stalk and discard the stalk, do not add the stalk as it will make chatney taste bad.
- Wash the mint leaves.
- Cut the green coriander finely.
- Cut green chilies in small pieces.
- Put the green coriander, mint leaves and green chilies in a blender, add ¼ cup of water and blend it well.
- Put the yogurt in a bowl and beat it with a whisk, to make it smooth.
- Now add the blended ingredients and mix it well with a whisk; add salt and mix again.
Delicious and fragrant Spicy Mint and Coriander Chatney is ready to serve with rice or anything else.
Best of luck for your cooking!