In our house there is a 150 kilo drum filled solely with rice; it’s one of our favourite ingredients. A staple in Pakistani food you can do so much with it and it goes with just about any savoury dish. We eat rice boiled, fried, flavoured, sauced and just about every other way you can imagine. One of most rich, decadent and highly beloved rice dishes is Pulao.
It is savoury meat flavored rice that can be made from just about any kind of meat. Here, we use mutton, but you can substitute that with an equal measure of whatever type of meat you prefer; be that chicken, turkey, beef or lamb. It produces a different and unique flavor with each and every different meat. You can also use any cut of meat that you like, be that thigh, ribs, shoulder, whatever, but keep in mind that the best and richest flavor comes from the bony parts of the animal.
½ kg mutton
1 Kg rice
2 Normal size onions thinly sliced
1 Normal size onion chopped
125 grams ghee or oil
1 tablespoon ginger paste
1 tablespoon garlic paste
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1 inch piece of Cinnamon stick
1 Indian Bay Leaf
2 ½ tea spoon salt
- Put the Mutton in the pressure cooker with 1 liter of water. One chopped onion, ginger and garlic paste, 1 tea spoon salt and ½ teaspoon chili
- Close the lid and when the whistle is blowing cook for 15 minutes
- In a separate cooking pan pour ghee and put it on the medium flame.
- Add finely chopped onions and Sauté the onions in it for 5 minutes or until they are brown.
- Strain the cooked meat from the water and keep the soup. Add the strained meat to the pot with the onions and sauté for two to three minutes until it changes color;
- Add 1 inch piece of Cinnamon stick, 6 Peppercorns. 4 cloves, 4 cardamoms and stir for 30 seconds,
- Now add the soup that you removed the meat from earlier and also add one more liter of water, also add 1 ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon of chili powder;
- Turn the heat to high and wait for the water to boil. When the water is boiling add rice to it and let cook for 7 minutes;
- Turn off the heat, cover the rice with a lid and leave for 15 minutes;
- Delicious pulao is ready to eat.