This is a kind of desert – but not a common desert. It is a kind of mix of super foods; made to replenish energy and essential vitamins and minerals. It is specially made for lactating mothers after the birth of a child. It is very nutritious and is considered good for backaches. We are sharing this recipe to conserve the traditional recipes of our forefathers.
- 1 Kg Green Gram whole powdered
- 100 grams Kamarkas (biological name Butea Frondosa)
- 500 grams sugar
- 1 Kg Desi ghee
- 100 grams desiccated coconut
- 100 grams phool makhane (fox nuts)
- 50 grams pistachios (grind them well)
- 100 grams melon seeds (charmagaz)
- 100 grams raisins (kishmish)
- 100 grams four gondain (gum arabic)
- 250 grams almonds (grind them in a grinder)
- 10 green Cardamom powdered
- Grind almonds, and pistachios in a grinder till they are powdered;
- Now put Desi ghee in a big karahi and fry the gondein, till they change colour and become fluffy, remove and place in a separate bowl;
- Now in the same ghee fry the phool makhane until they are light brown, remove and place with the fried gondein.
- In the same ghee, fry the kamarkas till it changes colour remove and put in a separate bowl;
- Now grind gondain, kamarkas and phool makhanay with a pestle and mortar (koondi danda), grind until the paste feels smooth;
- Strain the ghee with a large metal strainer , clean the karahi and put the ghee back;
- Put the green gram powder in it and sauté for about 10 minutes on medium flame, constantly stirring. If the powder separates from the ghee it is ready for the next step.
- Now switch off the flame and add all the ingredients including sugar and mix it well.
The panjeeri is ready. It is very delicious and nutritious.