Zarda is a rice dessert that is colorful and fun. It is usually served at parties, weddings or special occasions. This rice dessert is a very popular dish among both children and adults.
The rice dessert contains many nuts and dry fruits, as well as a lot of sugar, so it is very decadent and sumptuous. Pakistanis love to eat this dessert at festivals and holidays, especially on Eid. Whenever you include this rice dessert in your menu you are guaranteed to delight.
To find more sweet delights look here.
- Rice ½ Kg
- Sugar ½ Kg
- Ghee ½ cup
- Cardamom 2
- Almonds 50 ( 1/8 cups) grams
- Coconut 50 ( 1/8 cups) grams
- Raisins 50 ( 1/8 cups) grams
- Water 2 ¼ liters
- A few drops of orange (zarda) food colour
- Optional: Ras Gula and Petha
- Clean and soak the rice in plain water for half an hour.
- Take a cooking pot, add 2 liters of water and place it on high flame.
- When the water boils add Zarda colour and rice and stir once or twice.
- Put another pot on medium heat and add ghee, cardamom, raisins, coconut and almonds and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add ¼ liters of water and also put sugar in it.
- Let it cook for 2 minutes.
- When the rice is cooked to ¾ part then drain the extra water.
- Now add these rice to the second pot in which we have added the sugar and other ingredients.
- Let it cook until the water dries.
- Cover the pot with a lid.
- Lower the flame to minimum and leave it for 5 minutes.
- Turn the flame off and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Zarda is ready, serve hot.