Qeema Kareley ( bitter melon or gourd)
Karelas (bitter melon or gourd) can be cooked in various styles. We previously shared Qeema Bharay Karelay, which is a completely different type of Dish. We will keep sharing other recipes in our other posts. Kareley (bitter melon or gourd) is a summer vegetable and is liked in Pakistan and India. Cooking Karelas (bitter melon or gourd) is a bit complicated but not difficult. Generally it is said that cooking Karelas is an experts job but it is not true and anyone can cook it by following this recipe.
Stage #1: Preparing the Karelas (bitter melon or gourd) for cooking
Note: Here we will explain everything with 1 Kg of Karelas (bitter melon or gourd)
1 Kg Karelas (bitter melon or gourd)
2 teaspoon salt
- Cut the Karelas (bitter melon or gourd) from one side in length.
- Extract the seeds.
- Now cut them in thin rounds.
- Spread 2 teaspoons of salt on Karelas (bitter melon or gourd).
- Put them in sunlight for half an hour.
- Then wash thoroughly with water.
- Put them on a clean cloth so that the extra water drains out.
- Now the Karelas (bitter melon or gourd) are ready for next steps.
Stage #2: Preparation of Minced meat (Qeema)
½ Kg minced meat (qeema)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon red chili powder
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 large size onion chopped
1 tablespoon ginger paste
3 cloves of garlic
½ liter water
3 tablespoons ghee or oil
½ liter oil for frying
1 cup fresh milk
- Put all the ingredients in pressure cooker and place on fire with high heat
- When whistle blows cook for 15 minutes
- After opening the pressure cooker and add ghee or oil;
- Now lower the flame to middle level and cook until the minced meat changes color;
- Keep stirring to avoid burning of the qeema or minced meat
- When it changes colour turn off the flame.
Stage #3: Adding the Karelas (bitter melon or gourd) to the Meat
- Put a frying pan on the fire and add ½ liter oil.
- When the oil is hot, deep fry the already prepared Kareley.
- When they are light brown take them out of oil and add to the already cooked minced meat or qeema.
- After adding all the karelas put the qeema and kareley on a low flame and add a cup of milk.
- Let it cook on low flame for 15 minutes.
- After that cook it for five minutes on high flame or until the ghee is showing on top .
Delicious karelas are ready to serve.
Best wishes for your cooking !